Friday, December 3, 2010

Estate: Iittala Score!


Picked up these late 1960's, early 1970's pieces at one sale. I came in just as they were closing one the first day so I only found the remnants. Left behind these tiny cordial glasses & now sorry that I did. The seller told me of all the wonderful things the dealers picked up.

"Ultima Thule" glass designed by Tapio Wirkkala in 1968 for Nuutajarvi of Finland. Found only the one? Molten glass burns the surface of the wooden mould & gives glass a charred wood impression. Bottom looks like melting ice.

Timo Sarpaneva designed this pair mold blown glass "Festivo" candle holders in 1966 for Iittala of Finland. Looks like ice.

"Cigaro" 1968 Kaj Franck for Nuutajarvi Glassworks of Finland. Heavy clear glass modernist ashtray. Reminds me castle crenelations.

Small dark blue enameled pottery ashtray. No marks. Light & very well made. Probably scandiv. Made in Japan.


"Miranda" Bowl & Cake Platter designed by Heikki Orvola for Nuutajärvi/Iittala of Finland (1970) In production: 1971-1975. Colorless pressed glass. Found the bowl in Oct/Nov at my favorite thrift store and didn't know what it was at the time but liked the leaf/petal pattern. The following week, I found the matching cake platter at this estate sale. Only months later, did I discover these were Nuutajärvi pieces. Both Christmas presents to my Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment